Monday, May 12, 2008

And so it begins, already at step eight.

This begins just like another of these doubling blogs such as: http://doublingchallenge.blogspot.com/
http://doubleyourwaytoamillion.blogspot.com/
http://dtamp.blogspot.com/
And so on. The above blogs have inspired me to make my own blog of my doubling challenge because it makes it so much easier to keep track of. And if someone wants to read it to also be inspired by this simple .pdf thing they can be.
I started at least a few months ago with a penny and so on, but I only went with spare change I found on the ground. After some time I might actually move on to buying raw materials and making something... Maybe a xbox laptop ... That would be awesome. (My current Xbox is the 203 watt one so I would have to by a new one to avoid heat problems.)

Anyway. Tangents are fun.
So, I currently find myself at $1.69. And I got here rather easily.
Before step five I wasn't keeping track, but here is the challenge so far: (Yes, I bend the rules a bit, but ... I don't mind.)

0000000.01 -- Step 01 - Completed
0000000.02 -- Step 02 - Completed
0000000.04 -- Step 03 - Completed
0000000.08 -- Step 04 - Completed
0000000.16 -- Step 05 - Completed
0000000.32 -- Step 06 - Completed

May 5, 2008 - Found dime behind school. Current stake: $0.43
May 7, 2008 - Found 5 cents because someone decided to throw them down a hallway because he thought they were useless. Then I found $0.46 just around the school. I have never had much success doing this at school until today and it managed to double the amount of money I have already found at school... Strange. Current stake: $0.94

STEP COMPLETE

0000000.64 -- Step 07

May 11, 2008 - Mother's Day. I saw a woman putting two medium sized buckets of coins into a coinstar machine and after she left I looked to see if she dropped any. She did. She dropped a 1963 dime. I know that dimes from before 1964 were made out of silver and right when I picked it up I could tell it was wierd. This coin was in okay condition, it had a scratch on the head but the silver value alone was still twelve times face value. I really hope that this was the only odd coin in her two buckets or else she could have easily dumped hundreds of dollars into a machine that steals nine cents of every dollar you put into it. What an amazing deal for Coinstar. Well, actually Coinstar doesn't look at the coins put into its machines, I doubt they are even looked at by a human from when they enter the machine until after they are sent to the bank. Coinstar most likely sends the coins from their machines directly to the bank after rolling them up. And to get to my point: If you come across a roll of dimes from the bank that are all 1964 and before you know where they came from -- a person who puts a bunch of coins into a coin counting machine without even looking them over. I guess you only have so much time in life, why not do something other than look at shiny coins. The woman could not be found, or I would ask her to show me the rest of the coins that her husband had been collecting (yes, I'm going to treat her like a stereotype)...
Just a short edit below:
Okay, a bit of research shows that a dime is about .0718 of an ounce. Today the price of silver is $17. The dime is then worth about $1.22 in silver value alone. If the charts are right, maybe silver will double again soon...

Since the dime is actually worth more than a dime I'm going to say I'm still at $0.94. With a shiny 1963-D dime in 'fine' condition.


May 12, 2008 - Found $0.75 still in a vending machine's return slot. Woo! (Is it sad that I was happy about this?) Current stake: $1.69
STEP COMPLETE

No comments: